rd logo

Royal Deeside : Aboyne History & Folklore


Images of Royal Deeside, Scotland
home page

The history of Aboyne traces back to prehistory as with the other communities on Royal Deeside. The town as we know it - its full name is Charleston of Aboyne after the first Earl of Aboyne - came into being in 1676. The village was formerly known as Bunty or Bonty.

But there had long been a castle here - it was handed over to King Edward in 1291 and garrisoned by English troops. From about 1388 the castle and lands were owned by the family of the Marquis of Huntly. Many attractive buildings in or near Aboyne were built by Sir William Cunliffe Brooks, a banker who owned Glen Tanar in the late 19th Century.

Substantial articles, e.g. Wartime Poetry, are given their own section while shorter articles are grouped together under the heading of Aboyne History.

If you wish to add your own items please contact the site webmaster

introduction
surrounds & environment
villages & small communities
news & events
visitor attractions
sport and activities
history and folklore
businesses and services
community : services
community : activities
contact & website info.
Accessible sub-menu

Aboyne History Introduction Bonty Formaston Stone Aboyne Regiment 1745
Aboyne Gazebo Wartime Poetry War Records James Thomson  

Aboyne Castle
Aboyne Castle is owned by the Marquis of Huntly and was a Gordon stronghold

On this page we introduce several shorter articles, some of which were produced by the Aboyne History 2000 project. The articles are written by various contributors and are presented as written. There may be some overlap and differences but these represent different authors interpretations.

The articles published to date are by Jim Cheyne and Jane Kruuk. They are

Jim Cheyne : Bonty, James Thomson

Jane Kruuk : The Formaston Stone, Aboyne Gazebo

World War II 'pill-box'  Aboyne
World War II 'Pill-boxes' are found at each end of Aboyne


Top of Page

Introduction A History of Royal Deeside The Deeside Railway The Old Military Road Old Kirkyardst
Queen Victoria and Royal Deeside John Brown, Loyal Servant Francis Farquharson Lord Byron, poet Alexander Gordon
Macbeth and Braemar Braemar Gathering and Highland Games History of Braemar Clan Farquharson Bridges of Ballater
19th Century Ballater History of Dinnet area Aboyne History Aboyne Wartime Poetry Aboyne Great War Records
History of Dinnet History of Tarland Scott Skinner, the Strathspey King Glen O' Dee Hospital Brunel's Bridge
    AA Box 472    

 

 

 

This website is maintained for the benefit of the residents of Royal Deeside, Aberdeenshire, Scotland by
Ballater (RD) Ltd, a charitable company limited by Guarantee.

 

Copyright © 2003-2013 Ballater (RD) Ltd